17. mar. 2015

Reading Material

Today felt like a lucky day! The sun was shining and although it was only 9C it felt warm - too warm to wear a sweater, like I did. My new job as a project manager had me go to a small town today and after the meeting I found myself wandering down a small street in this even smaller town. I casually glanced to my right and spotted some old magazines from the 50ties in a Red Cross shop and initially I didn't think they were for sale. But they were and I snatched two with Grace Kelly (Princess Grace, I should say) and one with Marilyn Monroe. The sweetest old lady was behind the counter apologizing for the steep prices - 10 Danish kroner a piece!!! (a little more than €1) I could have hugged her!



When I came home from work this book on the Duchess of Windsor awaited me. I'd totally forgotten I'd ordered it and I look forward to diving into their love story while enjoying a glass of port wine which I got for my birthday. Some call it the love story of the century but I can't help thinking how difficult it must've been for Wallis Simpson to be SO loved that the Duke gave up the throne for her. Would you be able to live under that pressure? Letters from her to friends and family show that it wasn't easy for her.  



In January Danish TV aired the movie "WE" by Madonna and it really spoke to me and my sense of aesthetics. The "modern" love story featured alongside the love story of the Windsors is only so so, but the one about Wallis and Edward captivated me and I can't believe the detail paid to props and clothing - but then again, the project took up 7 years of Madonna's life and when she does something, she does it in full.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar