28. mar. 2014

Art Nouveau in Riga

A while back I decided to visit Riga, Latvia to see what the city was all about. What surprised me the most was that Riga boasts around 800 art nouveau buildings (40% of the buildings in the centre belongs to art nouveau which is more than any other European city), the majority of which are situated in the central part of Riga around Alberta Street and the quiet centre, the embassy district, where every building deserves a look (literally - look up!!) 

So if you decide to visit remember to lift your eyes and take your time as there is some truly mind-blowing astonishing architecture there. As someone who is always on the hunt for the "right atmosphere" this surely delivered. It was as if someone had gone absolutely (wonderfully) crazy with a can of whipped cream ;-) 

In the middle of it all I stumbled upon the most carried out art nouveau café with a decor to die for - and the best coffee and croissant I'd had in a long time. From my table in front of the huge window I was able to linger a little and look out at the breathtaking blue building while leafing through beautiful picture books. 












Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar