4. maj 2015

Edvard Weie & The Poetry of Nature

Landscape with Palm Trees, Cannes, ca. 1939
It's no secret that I've become very interested in art on a personal level and find great solace in going to exhibits taking my time to actually see. I remember my first serious visit to an art museum. I was 15 years old and it was the local art museum in my hometown. The only painting there I really felt spoke to me was Edvard Weie. I didn't know anything about him other than I liked his wide brush strokes and use of colour. Today was the last day of the exhibit Edvard Weie: Poesiens Natur (Edvard Weie: The Nature of Poetry) at Gl. Strand Art Association. It's so typical of me to arrive on the very last day but I'm so happy I did. 

In March 1915 the Gl. Strand Art Association hosted Weie's first solo exhibition. Today, a 100 years later, Gl. Strand highlights this by showcasing a wide variety of his paintings all privately owned. As you will see on the pictures there are no tags telling the viewer what you see. Instead, beautiful classical music filled each room adhering to the theme of the paintings which I found very powerful. Along with your admission ticket you were given a little book to keep with information and pictures. 

I also liked how the walls were either painted purple, white or grey and that in some rooms there were only three paintings. It made it very intimate and when I left (I took several rounds like I usually do) I felt I had witnessed something very special, something very delicate and intangible. The moment you walked out the door you felt you were saying goodbye to something which, in a short amount of time, had become very dear to you.

A Group of Trees in the Sunlight with a View to the Channel. Autumn, 1914
Langelinie, ca. 1929
An Avenue. Hørsholm, ca. 1928
Faun and Nymph, 1940/41
Kunstforeningen Gl. Strand

Gl. Strand 48

1202 København 

www.glstrand.dk 

PS. To my few Danish readers: notice the text where Weie talks about art and how he writes "gnaske en pose konfekt til" - isn't that hilarious! :-)

1 kommentar:

  1. En af de dejligste malere, og så citat af Søren Ulrik Thomsen, min yndlingspoet.
    Dagen er blevet forgyldt!

    SvarSlet