19. sep. 2014

Life Without My Iphone


Disaster has struck! My WI-FI button won't swipe so I've had to hand in my Iphone to get it repaired. I was told it could be up to 2-3 weeks before I get it back so I've borrowed an old phone which is good because I suppose the essence of a phone is.... telephoning, right?! 

Oh, but no!! I don't miss the phone function on my Iphone one bit. I miss everything else that it provides - capturing my life for instagram, texting, checking e-mails, snapping pictures and listening to music. So the interesting part, and I think this goes for most people, is that we can't do without our phones although telephoning is the last thing we actually use them for. 

These days I am very much aware of the present moment as I can't look at life through my phone camera or miss details because I'm busy checking messages or snapping a picture of my café au lait and croissant. 

In other words; this time I don't arrange my coffee and croissant so it looks good for instagram. Now, I actually drink my coffee while it's warm and enjoy the superb crumb of my pastry. Now, I take my time conversing with the Japanese couple next to me who excitedly tells me it's their first time visiting Copenhagen and I genuinely smile with them because I feel their excitement and how much they enjoy the city.* I'm forced to take a step away from my (narcissistic) universe and engage in others.**

While observing people with phones I realize that I must come across just as absent-minded and boring as them. That kind of behaviour is not really welcoming or nice - it's actually kind of rude. But despite that I must admit it surprises me just how vulnerable  "naked" I feel and how much I miss my phone.

But then again, maybe "naked" is good sometimes.  

*I probably would have spoken to the Japanese couple anyway as I'm known to strike up conversations with almost anybody :-)
**I'm exaggerating here but you get the point?!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar