10. jan. 2014

Pillowcases from Asia

When I travelled around Asia I made a point of collecting a pillowcase from each country. I would like to pass on the idea because it's one of the souvenirs I treasure the most. The patterns are colorful and go surprisingly well in a contemporary setting - but more importantly: I'm surrounded by memories the moment I enter my living room. 

I simply picked the pillow cases which caught my eye - the one from Australia is hand made by Aborigines and it's meant to depict seeds on the ground. The case from Cambodia is a pattern from one of the wall stones at Angkor Wat. Everybody in Vietnam ride bikes so that was an easy pick and the one from Laos is typical Hmong embroidery. 

It was difficult to find a pillowcase in Burma so when I came home my sister made a pillowcase of the piece of woven cloth that i'd used as a cover-up or around my head (perfect to beat the heat.) The pillow case from Hong Kong have embroideries of exactly (I did count) a 100 children playing their hearts out as a celebration to the King on his birthday.

From left to right: Australia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Burma and Hong Kong. 





Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar