23. jan. 2014

It's Clementines, not Mandarins!!

I might as well tell you here and now that I'm the biggest consumer of clementines in Denmark during winter. It's actually nice to know that I help keep the Spanish orchards running. I've discovered a few facts about these amazing little fruits and also that I owe my life to a priest!!! 

I'm usually not into details (like Jackie Kennedy said "let's not complicate things) so I, along with many others, make the mistake of referring to clementines as mandarins and that is not correct!! These tiny sweet citrus fruits we buy during winter are clementines and not mandarins.

The story goes that in 1902 Pierre Clément, a priest from Algeria, succeeded in crossing the mandarin with another citrus fruit; the Seville Orange - and thus the clementine was born. This lovely citrus fruit is immensely popular in Denmark.

I love everything about the clementine: the beautiful orange peel, the juicy pulp, the intensive, sweet and refreshing taste and that it's easy to peel. The clementine is almost seedless but if you do find a few in there the tree has most likely grown close to a lemon tree and been pollinated by it (isn't that interesting - I didn't know that!

Each year we consume about 6 kg. clementines pr. person and half of it is around christmas. When you look for a bag of clementines make sure the peel doesn't have spots or marks on it and hold them in your hand as a perfect clementine will be heavy compared to its small size. 

I sort of owe my life to Pierre Clément. I certainly will send him a kind thought when the pile of clementine peelings are getting sky high. Apart from orange being my favourite colour I also find it very beautiful against the grey skies which seems to be the dominant colour in Denmark right now.


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar