8. jan. 2014

The Chariot of the Sun

I've decided to frequent museums more this year now that I am settled on Christianshavn and have time to explore the city. So this sunday, after seeing "Frances Ha" at Grand Movie Theatre, I decided to swing by the National Museum and was pleasantly surprised. 

Yes, there are many wooden objects and bits and pieces of  paraphernalia (for me) but there are some preetty cool viking objects, runic stones and plenty of artifacts from around the world. I can see myself pop in many times in the future and just hang out on rainy Sundays. I also found myself alone in long corridors and halls which gave me a sense of having the museum to myself (I have a thing with this - loving the feeling of having things "to myself.") 

I was particular interested in seeing "Solvognen" - "The Chariot of the Sun" as it has become the symbol of Denmark's ancient history and bronze age religious beliefs. It dates from around 1400 bc and depicts the sun being pulled across the sky by a horse; both sun and horse were seen as deities. I passed it a few times because all things in Denmark are generally quite small compared to the rest of the world - but I finally found it and thought the small size just made the chariot appear kind of cute.  

Another thing is also this; when I travelled in Asia I encountered two French guys who taught me many valuable life lessons. One was that no matter where you go always make sure to visit the country's national museum as this is where treasures are likely to be found (and in some countries this also involves a rich animal life like in Burma when a huge fat rat scurried across the floor, ha ha)

Nationalmuseet - Danish National Museum





Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar