22. okt. 2013

Flowers and World Views

Since March I've wanted to see this exhibit about flowers at the Danish National Gallery. I made it there Saturday - one day before it closed (quite typical of me!!) The thing is... I love, love, love flowers and this exhibit presented a spectacular and lush extravaganza of flower paintings spanning two centuries. I spent a few hours exploring rare exotic flowers and strange blooms I've never seen before. 

Besides offering a sensuous walk through the rich variety of the world of flowers, this  exhibit managed to dig deeper and I realized that in these rooms a flower is not just simply a flower. The artists' ways of presenting flowers, fruit and plants are affected by history and the prevalent world view - a picture of a flower is a picture of its own time.

when I left I felt a bit dizzy - sometimes too much beauty can be hard to take in as if you have been transported to a place beyond time. 

But gosh do I wish I was the owner of the original 'Gottorfer Codex.' 










Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar